A domain transfer is a process of switching the registrars for a given domain name.
NOTE: The domain name transfer concerns the registration of the domain name and not the hosting service associated with it.
There are four general requirements for a successful transfer of a domain name:
- The domain name must be at least 60 days old – a domain can be transferred only if 60 days have passed from its initial registration or from a transfer to the current registrar company.
- The domain name must be unlocked for transfer (For more information, please refer to: How to lock/unlock a domain name?)
- The domain’s EPP transfer authorization key (which may also be called an EPP key, authorization key or domain password) must be provided – it could be acquired from the domain name’s current registrar (For more information, please refer to: EPP (authorization code))
- The transfer verification e-mail must be responded to – this e-mail is sent within 24 hours after the domain transfer is initiated to the Administrative Contact e-mail address specified in the WHOIS record of the domain name
To order the transfer on our end:
- Log in to your hosting account.
- Go to Domain Search button on the left side and enter the domain in the search field.
- Click on the Transfer button and after that on the Proceed with the order.
- In the page will appear, enter the EPP transfer code.
Once you complete the payment, we will start the transfer and a verification email will be sent to the Administrative contact email address associated with your domain with a link that you will have to click to approve the transfer.
The process will be completed within 5 calendar days unless the current registrar company can release the domain manually. Once this happens, the domain will be renewed automatically for one year.
Some domain extensions are transferred in a different way – .UK domains are transferred by changing the so-called IPS tag, .DE domains require only a transfer code, while .ES are transferred with email verification only.
If you are not sure about the transfer process of your domain, feel free to open a ticket from the Help menu located on the top right corner of your hosting control panel.